Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dad do you think ...

"Dad, do you think chess is a great game?"  "Dad, do you think hockey is awesome?"  "Dad, do you think building with Legos is cool?"

My eight year old son Anthony poses these types of questions to me almost daily. Why does he poses such questions to me?  He must know I would respond with a "YES!" to all of the questions.  I introduced him to chess.  I played hockey when I was younger and he is playing with some of the Legos I had when I was a kid.  So why is he asking?  I believe he is looking for my approval or it is his way to express that we have this common bond.  Either way  I hesitate to give him a quick, "yes".  A quick response would end the conversation.  His questions not only provide a window into his passions but also an poses an opportunity for us to have a longer conversation.  I will typically respond with a question.  "Why do you enjoy chess so much?"  Sometimes, I will indirectly answer his question and follow up with a question.  "I love hockey because it is a fast paced game and you switch from offensive to defensive in a blink of an eye.  Are there things you enjoy about the game?"  These types of responses expands our conversation.  They also provide him an opportunity to explain his thoughts. I love listening to him speak and begin to develop his own opinions.  


No comments:

Post a Comment